Saturday, April 6, 2013

It's Not Fair


One of my favorite quotes - It's from the song Be My Escape by Relient K.

When I recently found out that the first guy I had dated is now engaged, I thought to myself, "Now, that's just not fair!" As if I really deserve my life to be fair by my standards. When I find myself believing lies, I know I have to correct my wrong thinking with Biblical truth. What's really not fair is that Jesus hung on a cross to take the penalty of my sin. It's not fair that the wages for my sin is death (Romans 6:23) and since Jesus paid the price, I get to go scot-free. It's not fair that Jesus removed His wrath from me and in return gave me His righteousness and His Holy Spirit who daily enables me to be conformed to His image. It is unfair that He bestows His grace on me daily. The Bible tells us that God is a just judge (John 5:30) and being just means He requires punishment for my sin. I should be destined toward an eternity in Hell but by His grace, God chose to save me by punishing His son. I really don't deserve for my life to be fair according to my standards because 1) I am a sinner who daily sins against my Holy, perfect God and 2) The Bible does not tell us that life will be "fair." Au contraire mon amis. In John 16:33 Jesus warned, " . . . In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart I have overcome the world," (ESV). Additionally, James 1:2 says, "Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds," (ESV) - trials are not a matter of "if" but "when." My pastor has said that this world is the only heaven people will experience if they don't follow Christ and that for Christ-followers, this world is the only hell they will experience.
My penalty is paid and that, my friends, is what is really unfair.

0 comments:

Post a Comment