Sunday, February 21, 2016

It's A Love Story // Part 2




February 5, 2014
The school that I worked for was celebrating Spirit Week and the theme for this day was country western. I showed up at youth group that night dressed in a flannel, boots and jeans. Derek thought I looked cute and while I was talking with my group of girls after the message, Derek came up to me, out of nowhere and said, "Lauren, I just want to compliment you on that really great shirt!" I thought he was a little forward and was unsure of his intentions in talking to me. I  thought it was a little odd that he would begin saying that since we had never really had a conversation before. I figured maybe Derek didn't know how to approach women but I wanted to be gracious and answered all of the questions he asked me but I was pretty cautious so I replied with one word answers and didn't ask him anything in return. 
February 6, 2014
I was at the Bible study for my group of high school girls, which I was co-leading with my friend Amber. That night, Amber told me that Derek liked me but I refused to believe it. She told me that she had spoken with Josh, the youth pastor, and he said it was okay for staff members to date. I replied "Amber, I'm not even asking that!" Our group of girls thought it was hilarious to see my face turn as red as a tomato and asked if they could be on the invite list to my wedding. I said, "If it is in God's will for my life for me to be married, then yes, you will be on the list."
Spring 2014
Derek consistently found opportunities to talk to me after youth group each week. I couldn't figure out why and for fear of getting hurt, I put up walls and tried different things to keep him away. One night I tried dressing not cute, to keep Derek away. My plan backfired and had the opposite effect when Derek still came right up to me after youth. I didn't know what I was doing wrong and figured I would have to get more creative. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment