Saturday, January 21, 2012

Fun Run


Today I was supposed to do a 5k walk/run with my mom and little sister. As it turns out we talked and decided that we were not going to participate if it was raining (I don't recall having this conversation). So I woke up at 6:45, ate breakfast and went to see if my mom was up yet. When she informed that it was probably canceled due to rain, I decided to call our local Chick-fil-A because they were hosting the event. They were still going to host rain or shine and since determination is my middle name (well. . .it's actually Michele), I decided to go anyway. I am NOT a runner by any means. I can run, but am not really motivated to. Any type of exercise for me is a chore and huge burden (it's sooooo boring!). But I decided to participate anyway because I don't want to be the type of person to quit when things are uncomfortable or inconvenient. I drove to Chick-fil-A, which is not where the run was. As soon as I realized this, I turned around in a panic and drove to the shopping center where it was held. I made it on time, signed in and got my bib.

shot_1327200923940.jpg


I thought this would be really hard and even told myself, "You don't really have to do this, you can turn around and leave anytime,". But for me, easy is NOT an option. I was initially a little nervous due to my lack of athletic ability and because I had no friends or family there with me. When everything inside was telling me to give up, I chose to endure anyway. The run was fantastic! I spent time with God, participated in a community event, received coupons for free Chick-fil-A because they were out of my shirt size (I will still get the shirt, but in a few weeks). So I'm still getting the shirt AND I got free food out of it. Clothes and free food - does it get any better?

shot_1327164512465.jpg
Many people, including myself ended up running and walking with their umbrellas because it was SO wet!

The best part of the race is the encouragement I received from complete strangers. Yes, these people probably live in the same city as I do, but it is a large city and I didn't know any of them. When I was at the end of the race, a group of people was clapping and cheering. . .for me! They said, "You're almost there" and "Run to the cow, it's just around the corner" (yeah. . .that was kinda weird). Then I ran and high fived the Chick-fil-A cows on either side of me into victory. I received a little water bottle and my *ahem* ribbon for completing the event. 

shot_1327200932960.jpg

I completed the walk/run in 45 minutes and actually ran for part of it. I was proud of myself for this and hopefully will be able to participate in more walk/runs in the future and finish in less time. This was a great start to what has been a great year so far. It's time to abandon easy and grow like never before. This means fully trusting God, letting go of fears and releasing inhibitions. In the words of Bethany Hamilton,"I don't need easy, I just need possible".
Here's to Christ who works through my weaknesses to make me stronger and more like Him.
Love,
Lolo

Me after the run. I was completely drenched and had to change right when I got home. I'm hoping and praying I don't get bronchitis or strep since that's what's going around at work this week.