Friday, November 23, 2012

On Coming Home . . .

Lately I have found myself considering the concept of home. Growing up I always thought home was my house. After living in the same house for 22 years and then moving out, I realized that I was wrong. Sure, I would miss this building that had been my shelter and place of many joys and tears. I would miss the moments that had happened and the ones that would continue to happen not too long after I was gone. I realized that mostly I would miss the people who made it home - my family. I recently (November 3rd to be exact) moved out for the very first time in my life to an apartment with two incredible roommates. The apartment is beautiful, the neighborhood is quiet, the location is closer to work and church and close enough to stores but not too close to where I hear the freeway traffic when I open my windows. The price and time were right and so, unexpectedly I moved. Most people would say I have the ideal situation and I honestly can't argue with that. Compared to human standards, I do have it pretty good. I have learned though that while my temporary home is great something's still amiss. My home does not and  cannot define me. My home doesn't make me complete - it doesn't satisfy me. There was a little leak under the kitchen sink and the board bubbled over a little tiny bit - my home isn't perfect. The past few weeks have taught me that I don't really belong here . . . on earth. My real home - the one I have learned to long for daily - is with Jesus in Heaven.





 In Philippians 1:21-23, Paul wrote, 
"For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. If I am to live in the flesh, that means fruitful labor for me. Yet which I shall choose I cannot tell. I am hard pressed between the two. My desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better," (ESV). 
There are many things that I love about being here on earth and I am so grateful for God's grace in my life yet I am grateful that He allows me to be disappointed when earthly things don't fulfill me. When I am disappointed by something not turning out my way, I know that His way is better and that when I am in Heaven I will not experience pain or disappointment - I will forever be in the presence of Jesus and in a place where sin is no more. John 14:1-3 says, "Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also," (ESV). . . . This is what home is to me and although I am here on earth today, I can't wait for Christ to come back for His bride and take me home where I truly belong.

Love,
Lolo




"He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, 
neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore,
 for the former things have passed away."
Revelation 21:4 ESV

0 comments:

Post a Comment