Monday, January 23, 2012

For My Son On His Birthday

Birthday

Today is my son's 9th birthday. No, I did not birth him. In fact I've never even met him. I adopted him through Compassion Ministries. I was inspired by my first reader Loz (which interestingly enough is a form of Lauren) who adopted a child through this ministry. You can read about her experience here. My son's name is Stephen and he is lives in a country in Africa called Ghana. With Compassion you can choose children who were born on a certain date if you'd like. I did a search of all the kids who had the same birthday as myself, which is today, January 24th. I then noticed that Stephen was the only child who had been need of a sponsor for over 6 months and lived in an area infected by AIDS. When I "adopted" little Stephen I was immediately blessed and began crying. It reminded me that despite all the hardships I've faced, I have a heavenly Father who loves me and is always there for me. Ephesians 1:5 states, "He predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will," (ESV). I can't wait to be a mommy someday, but for now the Lord has allowed me to care for Stephen financially and through correspondence. I sent him some sports stickers for his birthday since he loves soccer and I hope he enjoys them and that when he receives them he gets a little glimpse of his heavenly Father's love for Him. I don't know if I'll ever get to meet my son, but just knowing that God has allowed me to be his mommy and to love him in little ways is enough for me. And that my dear friends is a most beautiful gift. Happy Birthday Stephen!
Love,
Lolo